View Single Post
Old 09-05-2014, 09:48 PM
Bizarre unknowable space alien

Default Re: More blithe racism

I've been waiting impatiently for my favorite blogger, Phil Dyess-Nugent, to weigh in on Ferguson. So, of course, when he finally did I missed it because of the long weekend. As usual it's a gem of clear thinking and vitriol. I'm only going to include a few choice quotes less I use it all.

Quote:
And it all comes wrapped in the bow of a national worship of guns that has become so extreme that gun lovers seem to laboring under the assumption that if the media gets ahold of a single example of a gun being used for evil purposes, it'll be the start of a slivering slope that will lead to the permanent abolishment of all gun ownership. Then we'll be defenseless when the Triffids land.
Quote:
I've spend enough time listening to Ben Stein talk about what a wonderful fellow Richard Nixon was to know that he doesn't have a soul, but when, on the eve of the murder of Emmett Till, he chooses to use the word "lynching" to describe what's being done to the Ferguson police, does his interlocutor feel the slightest bit tempted to ask him whether he isn't a little ashamed to pretend that kidnapping a young man, beating him, gouging out his eye, shooting him dead and dumping him in a river is somehow on the same level as inconveniencing an officer of the law by asking that the shooting of a man whose body was subsequently left out on the street for four hours be investigated?
"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
- Justice Robert Jackson, West Virginia State Board of Ed. v. Barnette
Thanks, from:
Adam (09-07-2014), beyelzu (09-06-2014), BrotherMan (09-05-2014), Crumb (09-05-2014), Dingfod (09-06-2014), Nullifidian (09-09-2014), Sock Puppet (09-08-2014), Stephen Maturin (09-05-2014), The Man (09-05-2014), viscousmemories (09-07-2014)

Page generated in 0.12774 seconds with 11 queries