View Single Post
Old 10-30-2017, 09:28 PM
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei

Default Re: Star Trek is awesome

I haven't seen an episode of Discovery yet, and probably won't. Nothing I've read about it makes me think that I'd like it, and I'm certainly not planning to pay for access to a show that doesn't sound very appealing.

But some of the reviews are ... mystifying.

I was watching a review yesterday, and the reviewer was going over the problems with the show: unlikable main character, stupid premise, ignores previously-established Trek continuity, etc.

So far, I was thinking, "Okay, all valid reasons not to like the show." Then, from seemingly out of left field, the reviewer said that he doesn't like Discovery because it's so popular with the "Social Justice Warriors." Huh? He went on to say that he's tired of people pushing the "demonstrably false notion that Black people are systematically oppressed in this country."

Wait, seriously? Just how out-of-touch with reality do you have to be to say something like that with a straight face? As far as I can tell, the term "Social Justice Warrior" means "someone who supports the notion that it's wrong to discriminate against people based upon their race, sex, religion, etc." And someone who thinks that's a bad thing isn't someone whose opinions I'm inclined to take seriously.

So maybe I should make an effort to watch Discovery after all ...
Thanks, from:
Ari (10-30-2017), BrotherMan (10-31-2017), Crumb (10-30-2017), JoeP (10-30-2017), Kyuss Apollo (11-30-2017), slimshady2357 (10-30-2017), Sock Puppet (11-03-2017), The Man (10-30-2017)

Page generated in 0.18481 seconds with 11 queries