View Single Post
Old 04-03-2014, 04:26 AM
rude, crude, lewd, and unsophisticated

Default Re: The Catch-All Chicken Heart Thread

So, yesterday, I found three dark eggs together in the nesting box I'd emptied the day before, so I had one fresh each of the three dark eggs for comparion. One is a uniform medium dark brown, which I assume was produced by Eleanor, my Black Copper Marans. Another was a lighter brown (aka 'terra cotta'), but with freckles darker than the brown on Eleanor's egg. This was the product of Chance, my Welsummer. So, the remaining egg, roughly the same color as Eleanor's, but with slightly darker, smaller, speckles randomly scattered. Something of a cross between the egg of Eleanor and the egg of Chance...this is the egg of Dora, my pullet, who is Eleanor's niece and part Welsummer, but no relation to Chance.

I had been wondering where Sonja was laying her beige eggs, as they'd disappeared from the chalet nesting box. I found three today in one of the old nesting baskets. I suspect she'd got another stash hidden away somewhere else, because we're short more than just three of her eggs. She's taking a raft of grief from Ingrid, evidently.

Ingrid, at seven years, is still laying her green eggs. More erratic than ever, but they still show up occasionally.
ceptimus (04-03-2014), Janet (04-03-2014), livius drusus (04-03-2014), slimshady2357 (04-03-2014)

Page generated in 0.24387 seconds with 11 queries