View Single Post
Old 03-16-2012, 01:35 AM
ne plus ultraviolet

Default Re: Why the Mainstream Media Really Sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watser? View Post
Yay for you Merkins. Over here the trend is still going the other way, with right wing populist xenophobe extraordinaire Geert Wilders playing the sensasionalist media like a violin and the 'serious' media terrified of being finger-pointed as belonging to the 'leftwing church'.
I'm not holding my breath just yet. Our own home-grown right-wingers have proved most adept at playing the media.

Even if NPR makes good on its pledge and sticks to its guns -- and that's a big "if," in my opinion -- they represent a pretty small percentage of our media. It's a pretty non-representative subset of the U.S. population that listens to NPR. News outlets like Fox and CNN have far more viewers/listeners, and are far more influential. And I don't foresee CNN or -- God forbid -- Fox ever adopting such a policy.
It will be interesting to see if NPR follows through. I hope this means they will stop quoting anonymous government sources spouting propaganda/ official positions- as if that required anonymity. Or that they even actually call torture- performed by the US- torture, rather than "enhanced interrogation" or some other doublespeak. If it is torture when the Khmer Rouge do it, I'm pretty sure it is torture when the US does it.

Or even provide some context to their notoriously context-free reporting.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (03-18-2012), Kael (03-17-2012), Qingdai (03-16-2012), Stormlight (04-17-2012), The Lone Ranger (03-16-2012), Ymir's blood (03-16-2012)

Page generated in 0.33891 seconds with 11 queries