View Single Post
Old 07-29-2014, 04:49 PM
Bow down before me ... or not.

Default Re: First World Problems

I'm a relatively cheap bastard according to the family. Coupled with my income potential that means at any given time I'm sitting on a pile of money.

When my wife finds out, she does something stupid. Last time it was rebuild the nasty 12 year old kitchen. This time it was the false dicotomy of "should we move, or finish the basement". Of course the kids and dogs get behind her and I'm hopelessly out voted.

I found a house I wanted with 5 acres, a barn, tractor, and horse, that was reasonably priced and on the market over a year, but she vetoed it due to the homes nasty 15 year old kitchen. She found a pretty new house she wanted with a nice kitchen, fancy rooms, finished basement, a fancy patio, whole home electrical do-dads, and an office. It was next to a busy street so I vetoed.

So we took option 2 and finished the basement instead.

Now the work is almost done down there. But I'm still a cheap bastard, and refuse to pay anyone good money to "plug stuff in" so I've been unhooking, rehoooking, cable stringing, and generally making a wiring/electrical mess in every room of the house. Smart TV here, smart TV there, smart TV everywhere. All requiring LAN wiring, wireless connecting, piles of HDMI cables, speaker wires from here to the moon, reprogramming the universal remotes for new componets. I still need to move the wireless network to the basement and reconnect the currently wired computer and smart TV on the top floor somehow. I'm thinking a flux capacitor or 2 will do it. I've managed to get an applied honorary PhD in electro-magnetic field theories and wiring (I made that up but I'm printing a diploma for it using University of Phoenix letter head).

On Thursday, the guy comes from the cable company sometime between 1 and 5 pm to upgrade our cable boxes. Then I can set everything in stone, wrap cables, and tuck everything away before finializing the universal remote.

If you can get cancer from a magnetic field in your cell phone, well you won't last a movie from the magnetic field generated by the basement entertainment center.

I'm exhausted. I've not worked out this much with TV involved; even including when skinimax comes on at night.

Last edited by ImGod; 07-29-2014 at 08:42 PM.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (07-29-2014), Janet (07-30-2014), JoeP (07-29-2014), lisarea (07-29-2014), One for Sorrow (07-30-2014), Stormlight (08-01-2014)

Page generated in 0.15094 seconds with 11 queries