View Single Post
Old 06-29-2017, 09:24 PM
I read some of your foolish scree, then just skimmed the rest.

Default Re: Drive by science

I am the Spider Sex God! (On accident). I've been trying to get them to weave webs in things I can then move so I saw a male wandering about on a line so I tried to transfer him to a structure but the wind blew him into another web and then I watched spider sex. Which seems to be a lot of vibrating a string saying "wanna do it, but um, please don't eat me." Then a dance, then more string vibration and spinning about, that I translated to "No, but really, don't eat me, K?" and a few second tap on her underside and after she told him to piss off, he escaped uneaten.

ETA: To add more, male spiders spin a small web they hold and deposit sperm onto which they then suck up with their pedipalps (the two big bulbs in front), they then use the special tips on the pedipalps to inject it into the female's reproductive opening. Since this puts the male spider at a disadvantage and may put his abdomen nearish to her fangs, those things designed for piercing and immobilizing exoskeleton creatures for dinner, there's a lot of signalling that he's of the right species and there to mate. Apparently different species have different vibrational patterns they send as code to convince the female they are really a mating male and not another species hunting it, or food. Some species include tapping her legs in a certain way that makes her still and again reminds her that it's mating time, do not bite the thing infront of you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spiderweb.jpg (399.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Male orb weaver.jpg (217.0 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by Ari; 06-29-2017 at 10:48 PM.
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (06-30-2017), BrotherMan (06-29-2017), JoeP (06-30-2017), specious_reasons (06-29-2017), The Man (06-29-2017), Vivisectus (06-30-2017)

Page generated in 0.13543 seconds with 12 queries