Thread: Save the 'Net
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2006, 04:01 AM

Default Re: Save the 'Net

Although I'm liberal in general and a pinko of sorts, I think net neutraility is misguided. The internet has become a virtual welfare state where so much is free that people feel entitled to it. Guess what? When everything is free there is no incentive to progress to something else. Frankly I hate the net the way it has wound up. Web content is not free-it is advertising supported for the most part and I would be willing to face a new "value" model than stay the same.

It's kinda like this:

Pretend it's 1986 and the world hasn't yet heard of the net. Presume for a moment that everyone has an original IBM PC (8086 processor). Then all of a sudden, a major manufacturer announces the creation of a 386 processor that is many time faster. You want one. You go to get one and are told, the government felt it wasn't fair to let you buy a 386 becuase your neighbor down the street is not ready to afford one. How would you react?

I think this is similar. And that the government should not be inserted to impose artificial price controls. Competition and innovation will produce new stuff that will be worth the money and we'll find ways to pay for it just like we did to replace our computers and software several times through our lives already. Today's internt is not the destination of the information techniology revolution--it is a start. Let's not create the very impediments to our own revolution and keep it in it's current state of stagnation.

Change is good--even if it seems to hurt at first.

Page generated in 0.13271 seconds with 11 queries