View Single Post
Old 10-24-2016, 08:31 PM
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei

Default Re: Australia is fucked up

For what it's worth, I very-much doubt that even a Huntsman Spider of that size could successfully overpower and kill a healthy mouse. Even if the spider managed to somehow catch an unwary mouse, it would almost-certainly be incapable of holding onto a struggling mouse long-enough to inject a lethal amount of venom -- and it would be even less likely to be capable of holding on to a struggling mouse long-enough prevent it from escaping before the venom incapacitated the mouse.

I'm not saying the event was necessarily staged, but if the spider did manage to catch the mouse on its own, chances are the mouse was either confined somehow and unable to escape or fight back, or it was already sick/injured.

On the other hand, I'm delighted to see an article in a mainstream news source correctly use the word "chelicerae."

On yet another hand, I'd like to encourage the spiders to eat as many of the invasive, disease-spreading, habitat-disrupting, non-native mice as possible.
Thanks, from:
aarp (10-25-2016), Adam (10-25-2016), Angakuk (10-24-2016), Janet (11-09-2016), JoeP (10-24-2016), livius drusus (11-18-2016), Stormlight (10-25-2016), Watser? (10-24-2016)

Page generated in 0.28142 seconds with 11 queries