View Single Post
Old 11-14-2006, 02:38 PM
Tellifying

Default Re: Censorship by mob rule

Good discussion here, I'm glad this thread was started. Thank you, Angakuk.

Another thing to consider is that not everyone who is quiet is necessarily part of the majority opinion. That is, there are a lot of posters who simply don't get into some discussions (particularly religion and/or politics). Therefore, they might not be around to object to the dogpiling or the vitriol, but this certainly doesn't mean that they approve.

As for having a minority opinion, it is harder. That's a fact and one that's not likely to change no matter what moderation policies are introduced. Those in the minority will probably have to have thicker skin and better control of their temper.

Finally, I think another thing to consider is how certain types of threads/posts creates an environment in which a minority opinion might not even try to be heard. Threads that negatively paint all conservatives or all Christians with a broad brush are likely to cause some posters from voicing anything. Furthermore, a series of "me too" and "yeah!" posts supporting such generalizations only make things worse.

I'm not saying that this can or should be controlled in anyway, but I can certainly appreciate how such things makes for an environment that's difficult for minority opinions.
Thanks, from:
Gonzo (08-22-2011)

Page generated in 0.12928 seconds with 11 queries