View Single Post
Old 10-15-2015, 06:52 AM
California Sober

Default Re: Privacy, Anonymity, and Compartmentalization

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea View Post
And this reminds me of my greatest data harvesting story, which I've probably told before. A while back, I started getting big, glossy, four color brochures from a nearby hospital (Boulder Community Hospital it was) inviting me to attend seminars and presentations about new treatments for PELVIC ORGAN PROLAPSE. Let me make it very clear here that these were not in envelopes. They were brochures sent straight through the mail with my name printed on them next to big, clear letters reading "PELVIC ORGAN PROLAPSE" for all to see. And I didn't get just one. They were pretty insistent. I got tons of these.

Now, OK. I have never had pelvic organ prolapse, although I might also say that if I had, but I haven't. But I must have been engaging in some prolapsey activities. Buying too many potatoes or something like that. Because the fact that I didn't have that condition means that it couldn't have come from any confirmed source, but from something else. Some predictive tool out there was analyzing some data about me, decided that it meant that I had thrown a sleeve, and then sold my contact information to some sort of drug or medical device company so they could send me targeted ads.
It was on page 2 of in this very thread, and "threw a sleeve" is as disgusting and hilarious today as it was the first time.

:udderpoke: :lol: :puke:
BrotherMan (10-15-2015), Janet (10-15-2015), LadyShea (10-15-2015), livius drusus (10-15-2015), Sock Puppet (10-15-2015), Stormlight (10-15-2015), viscousmemories (10-15-2015)

Page generated in 0.19461 seconds with 11 queries