Default Re: Return to Gender 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demimonde View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign Steve View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demimonde View Post
chick-egg dilemmas
Wish I could remember who said it (Butler, maybe?) but the quote I like is "Gender is an imitation for which there is no original."
It was Butler and I love that quote. Because it is so true.

It is impossible to escape Gender because it is so pervasive in our culture. I think most researchers in this field believe that without those external forces we would all be more androgynous. We would cease to be qualified and would instead be individuals.

seebs earlier touched on gender reassignment cases similar to David Reimer, born as a "boy" and raised as a "girl" after his genitals were damaged. That case ended absolutely tragically with Reimer committing suicide. But I think everyone in this thread and Jhally and Goffman would all agree that the tragedy of Reimer's life stemmed from the external pressures placed on him as to what he was supposed to be. He should not have been raised as a "boy" or raised as a "girl" he should have been raised as "David." The huge amount of psychological turmoil and pain he went through was based on a crises of identity that came from his social frame not his natural one.
It's also the case that his twin was schizophrenic and committed suicide as well, so it's entirely probable they both would have been basketcases even without the penis accident.
Demimonde (02-22-2012), LadyShea (02-22-2012)

Page generated in 0.16543 seconds with 11 queries