View Single Post
Old 06-14-2016, 06:43 AM
Safety glasses off, motherfuckers

Default Re: New messageboard software for us?

I strongly do not support “upgrading” to a version of vBulletin past 3.8. I have used vBulletin 4 extensively and it’s a piece of shit. It has the dumbest fucking control panel I’ve ever used (seriously, I don’t know what kind of crack they were smoking when they came up with a style editor that requires you to load literally hundreds of different fucking pages to customise everything, but whoever decided that was a good idea should be fired and never allowed to work in product design again), and it’s slow and uses an absurd amount of resources. vBulletin 5 does not appear to be any better.

I strongly doubt I will ever upgrade my own board past 3.8. Xenforo looks nice, but my own board is so heavily modded (the literally hundreds of skins to start) that upgrading to anything would be more trouble than it would be worth for a board that gets as little traffic as mine does. :ff: actually gets enough traffic that the effort might actually be worth upgrading to something else, but all the smiley modifications and stuff can’t be easy to port.

I’ve also played around with Discourse and it’s pretty cool, though it’s way different from vBulletin in interface and function. I think it has an auto-refresh feature for threads using Ajax or something, which is pretty cool.

I wouldn’t mind us having software that has a proper mobile style. I’m not going to use Tapatalk and most of the vB mobile styles I’ve seen are too limited. Beyond that, though, I don’t mind ol’ vBulletin 3.8. It may be old, but it’s still functional, which is more than I can say for newer versions of vBulletin, and it’s honestly pretty charming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpetrich View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Can't we just knock up a quick GUI in Visual Basic?
Why do you think that that would work?
It's a joke based on this scene from a bad TV show.

Ha ha, JoeP! I'm explaining your jokes!
Wait, she actually said “GUI interface”? That may be even dumber than “PIN number” or “ATM machine”, because even though those are redundant, at least they’re in common usage. You can’t even say that for “GUI interface”.

“All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind.” -Adam Smith

last.fm · my music · Marathon Expanded Universe
Thanks, from:
Janet (06-23-2016), viscousmemories (06-15-2016)

Page generated in 0.34128 seconds with 12 queries