View Single Post
Old 09-13-2017, 08:10 PM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

Default Re: 2016 Presidential Race

Anyway, unsurprisingly, the reviews suggest that she doesn't dwell on Bernie much compared to other factors like her own campaign, Russia, the FBI/Comey, the media (mainstream and right-wing) and sexism, and she also offers praise to Bernie in parts outside that excerpt.

Almost like one page excerpts leaked because they were "juicy" aren't an accurate summary of the thesis of a book.

Nonetheless, I do agree that Bernie's late primary campaign was harmful. So was Hillary's in 2008. But the stakes were lower in 2008 for various reasons (better fundamentals for Democrats, and Trump being far worse than McCain, and Democrats already controlling Congress and highly unlikely to lose it even if McCain won). Saying "So what, that's politics" isn't really a rejoinder to that. Hillary's 2008 run doesn't get mentioned much except to defend Bernie, because it's not very compelling given the level of Democratic success in 2008. But Obama probably could've won by more and brought along even more Democrats in Congress (unlikely to have changed the senate results as there weren't any really close races won by Republicans, but it could've at least helped Franken get seated immediately which would've been pretty helpful). It should've been a lesson, but lessons of mistakes made during successful election cycles are rarely learned. Bernie's 2016 primary, however, ought to be a lesson for the 2020 primaries - regardless of which candidate is the loser clinging on after they have no path to the nomination. I won't support Kamala Harris or Kirsten Gillibrand running bitter dead-end campaigns against Bernie Sanders, and I didn't support Clinton doing so in 2008 when it was occurring (although I was less of a political junkie and wouldn't have had as detailed arguments).

Saying it's just politics isn't a justification for continuing a harmful and hopeless campaign because you personally can't accept that you lost. The winner obviously needs to be able to respond, but that doesn't excuse the loser's behavior. Which isn't to say it's unforgivable - obviously Hillary was forgiven.

But in the counterfactual where Obama lost in 2008, I have a hard time believing that Hillary would've been held as blameless. The same people who hold Bernie blameness now would probably bring up the fact that she caused Obama to lose every time she popped back into the news. And it would be correct to give her some of the blame (especially in a narrow loss).
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (12-10-2017), Crumb (09-13-2017), Kael (09-14-2017), The Man (09-13-2017)

Page generated in 0.15527 seconds with 11 queries