View Single Post
Old 04-28-2010, 09:41 PM
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei

Default Re: Bend Over, Facebook is Back

I got talked into getting a Facebook account not too long ago, largely because most of my family members have accounts. Supposedly, it's a convenient way to keep in touch. I'm not at all convinced that it's very convenient, but whatever.

Of course, since I think to check the thing only once or twice a week, there's that. It does help me keep up with the nieces and nephews though, as they're obviously far more interested in that sort of thing than I am. Occasionally, one of them will send me a message -- usually asking for school-related advice, as it happens.

I've deliberately put almost no personal information up, and restricted access to that.

I've been surprised at how many high school acquaintances have sent me "friend" requests. (I haven't refused any, but neither have I gone out in search of anyone to "befriend.")

I'd guess that I spend an average of less than an hour per week on Facebook. Evidently, I'm not average in that, though. Every time I log on, I've got requests to play "Mafia" or "Farmville" or whatnot, or to send somebody "Hearts" or whatever the heck that's all about.

At first I sent polite replies saying I really didn't have the time or interest for such things. I've now reached the point where I'm semi-seriously considering putting a big "PLEASE STOP SENDING ME THESE REQUESTS" on my home page.

If it weren't by far the best way to keep up with the doings of my nieces and nephews, I think I'd delete the account.

Cheers,

Michael

Page generated in 0.17879 seconds with 11 queries