View Single Post
Old 07-01-2010, 07:45 PM
California Sober

Default Re: Fucking education! How does it work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragar View Post
It's all very well saying 'Oh, my son will never need calculus!', and it's all very well little Timmy agreeing that he doesn't need to know about limits and functions, but it'll be a hell of a problem when he gets to pick his major and realises he can't study engineering or physics or chemistry because he never learned basic calculus...
I would argue that the kid I am referring to is so tragically bad at math (they do exist) that he would never succeed at or even be interested in engineering in the first place.

That's why I said:

"I recommend offering all of them so the student will have a chance to challenge themselves and see what they are interested in or good at. But when the kid reaches that age where they know they just plain aren't into math, it's just cruel to force them to take year after year of algebra, geometry, etc. If they're not good at it, they're not going to go into a field that requires it, and vice versa. In the meantime it just causes fights and bad grades and feelings of failure."

Quote:
There's also the problem that kids have no idea what they're good at or enjoy until they try. Learning the basics is hugely important simply for the kids to have a chance to learn where their interests and aptidues are in the first place.
I also agree with that, which is why I said what I said.
LadyShea (07-01-2010)

Page generated in 0.15790 seconds with 11 queries