View Single Post
Old 01-22-2019, 10:09 PM
here to bore you with pictures

Default Re: Movies that aren't really BAD -- but aren't very good, either

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari View Post
I haven't seen any of the Purges but I kinda assume I would spend most of the movie mulling over details and edge cases of the Purge, [...]
Yeah, you kind of *have* to ignore all the details. It's a ridiculous and unworkable system, but that's also the point the movies are trying to make - extreme right wing "every man for himself" style philosophies break down in any real world system and only benefit the people who already have the most privilege. By the 2nd movie, it's revealed that most people (especially the poorest) find shelter and avoid the Purge as best they can, and

I've avoided some details to keep things spoiler-free, but in every movie, there are personal conflicts that escalate into violence because the Purge gives the people license to "solve" the conflicts through attempted murder. So, the Purge attempts to answer some of the questions that ran through my mind as I was watching these.

It's still an intensely stupid movie premise. If you can't get yourself past that, you shouldn't even try to watch it.

Last edited by specious_reasons; 01-23-2019 at 03:45 AM.
Thanks, from:
Ari (01-22-2019), Stormlight (01-28-2019), The Man (01-23-2019)

Page generated in 0.26143 seconds with 11 queries