View Single Post
Old 08-09-2014, 06:12 AM
Flipper 11/11

Default Re: Sam Harris: Why I am a fucking dick with goggles the size of Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunksmediocrites View Post
I've met a few Inuvialuit in my life and boy did they know a lot about locksmithing, which since it is a well-known stereotype that Inuvialuit are great locksmiths, really has a lot of relevance to some argument about Inuvialuit and Siglit Inuit tribal land disputes that I was opining upon a little while ago.
Like I said in the post above yours, if anyone thinks they're better than me, simply because God is on their side and they can do no wrong, it's definitely worth inquiring about. And, if it tends to line up with a certain stereotype, although I used the word "stigma," which is similar but not quite the same, then so be it. Although I don't generally care so much about stereotypes as much as the way I'm treated individually. While at the same time, if that makes me a bigot simply for bringing it up, as Angakuk seemed to suggest, I guess that will have to do.

Quote:
Why don't they get along anyway I've seen Fast Runner a couple times, so I have some expertise.
Regarding the Jews and Arabs? Apparently, according to Watser? it specifically had to do with what happened in 1948, when the Jews settled in Palestine. While I was always under the impression it was an age-old conflict that went back much further, at least since the time of Abraham. So I stand corrected, although I'm still speculating on it, for there are still a few things I'd like to verify. Wow! Can you believe I actually said that? :yup:

Oh, I was just reading something today about the Israelites invading the land of Canaan and destroying the other nations which, apparently had just about everything to do with God not wanting to mix His religion with that of Baal, because it would have been a bad influence on his people. So, it looks like I may need to redress this as well. Or, at least you won't hear me bringing it up again until I do.

Quote:
Because I think about things.
Indeed, how is it possible for anybody to think, when the entire Universe is but a mindless process? Care to give that one to go? In fact this is the whole key to our being here, and folks like you—in the name of science or, objectivity, that is—or, so you claim—seem to take the whole thing for granted. Everything is borne by means of our thought processes, before we can even begin to discuss what the brain does. And here, I said we could all be brains in a vat and no one would be able to tell the difference, which is true. In other words we can't escape our thought processes before determining anything else. Whereby this whole thing called reality stems from the mind. Though I suppose in all fairness, this is why science utilizes words such as theory but, you couldn't prove it by the way some folks act around here!

While thus far, no-one has been able to come up with a definitive reply to my question. Davidm gave it the old college try, you know, where all the academia nuts hang out :yup: but you might want to take a look at the last few posts, and ask why he and others stopped replying. It's pretty plain to me but, I guess some folks are just thick in the skull.

Quote:
My personal survey and recollection about how awesome my speculations are regarding the motivations of others leads me to further speculate that this is why others here at this forum are hesitant to offer dissenting viewpoints. Definitely not for other reasons involving spam posts that come across as manic heights, nor my retreats into magical thinking, nor my general confusion as to logical arguments.
Really? I don't see it keeping anyone from having a go at some of the others who are described this way. In fact I would deem it an opportunity just ripe for the nitpicking. Hey, look at peacegirl, how would you describe her any differently from me? Have you seen her thread? 1,603 pages long. Wow! The dogs are lined up all the way around the block on this one!

On the other hand, when I start a thread, it usually fizzles out after three or four pages at best, nor is it due to a lack of my willingness to participate. All I can figure is it must be the wrong pheromones or something?

I'm pretty sure that's it. :yup:

Like to download a copy of my book, The Advent of Dionysus? . . . It's free! :whup:

Last edited by Iacchus; 08-09-2014 at 06:59 AM. Reason: wording

Page generated in 0.34083 seconds with 11 queries