View Single Post
Old 02-03-2019, 06:22 AM
ne plus ultraviolet

Default Re: Ultimate Cagefight MMXIX, Democratic Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man View Post
I was originally an enthusiastic Sanders supporter in 2016, and I initially felt his entry into the race was a net good for the country. To some extent, I still feel that way, but I’m getting increasingly sick of his claim that the Democrats have abandoned working people. That was absolutely true in the 1990s. It is not true now. Clinton ran on the most progressive platform any Democrat had run on since… probably LBJ, if not earlier. Her platform, for instance, featured a comprehensive proposal for mental healthcare reform – it would essentially have been an Affordable Care Act for mental health.
Agree to disagree; her top ten campaign promises were either sops to the left or Reagan-level immigration promises; definitely not more progressive than Kucinich, or Edwards. Hillary Clinton's foreign policy neoliberal war hawk record, her voting for AUMF authorization, vote for the war in Iraq, and support for arms sales to Saudi Arabia and military support of the Saudis in their war in Yemen as Secretary of State; her support of dictators like Mubarak in Egypt; her message that universal health care will, "never, ever happen"- I don't see it.
Quote:
The time to focus on those flaws is not while we are out of power. The time to focus on those flaws is when we have power and can actually enact changes to policy.
You mean like all the reform that happened within the Democratic Party while Obama was in power and the Dems had control of the House and Senate, 2008-2009? How about when he killed Anwar al-Awlaki, a US Citizen in 2011 with drone strikes, and then killed his 16-year-old son Abdulrahman al-Awlaki (also a US citizen) in another drone strike two weeks later, along with nine other bystanders, in an open-air cafe? There's never a good time for feedback and criticism, never, never.
Quote:
We’ve already tried this experiment once with the ACA, and the wide-ranging protests to comparatively small changes in healthcare policy seem instructive.
You mean the Koch-astroturfed protests?

Quote:
I’m already growing fairly convinced that it’s likely to be Harris
ACAB, and see your next quote.

Quote:
The problem, of course, is handicapping that in advance.
Quote:
I don’t really care what a person believed ten years ago, and I honestly don’t even care as much what they believe now as much as I care what they’ll do in office.
How would you determine the most likely course they would take, once in office? Would you weigh the words they said at their umpteenth campaign rally, or their actual voting record (or record as a prosecutor, in Kamala Harris' case, when she wasn't busy snapping photos with border patrol)?

It really is seriously early for prognostications.

Page generated in 0.38571 seconds with 11 queries