Thread: News Miscellany
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2018, 07:46 PM
here to bore you with pictures

Default Re: News Miscellany

Boing Boing puts up a blog post linking to a bunch of illegal centerfold images. Playboy sues when Boing Boing refuses to take the link down:

Playboy says linking to Playmate archive violates copyright; judge says no way | Ars Technica

Quote:
A federal judge in Los Angeles has dismissed a copyright infringement lawsuit filed against Happy Mutants, the parent company of the popular website Boing Boing.

Back in November 2017, Playboy Entertainment Group sued Boing Boing, accusing it of violating the company’s copyright when, in February 2016, the website simply linked to a separate online collection of "Every Playboy Playmate Centerfold Ever." That portfolio, which was hosted on Imgur, has since been removed. Imgur did not immediately respond to Ars’ request for comment.

Because Boing Boing has advertising on its site, Playboy argued, it is profiting from those unauthorized images
While I think the lawsuit might not have merit - it's not illegal to link to things. However, in its response, I kinda agree with Playboy:

Cyrus Farivar on Twitter: "Today, @Playboy responded in a statement to my @arstechnica story from 12 days ago, involving the lawsuit with @BoingBoing, which was represented by @EFF.

@Playboy will “not refile an amended complaint at this time,” vows to “enforce” its IP.

See: https://t.co/q9u76bvWu1… https://t.co/szSTCvy15l"

Quote:
That is not editorial integrity. It is not ethical journalism. It is supporting and contributing to piracy and content creators should not tolerate it.
I think Boing Boing was in the wrong here, morally if not legally.
Thanks, from:
Ari (02-28-2018), Kamilah Hauptmann (02-28-2018), lisarea (02-28-2018), The Man (02-28-2018)

Page generated in 0.17055 seconds with 11 queries