View Single Post
Old 06-17-2018, 04:45 AM
Forum Killer

Default Re: The Make Something Every Week Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by But View Post
That looks really nice!

I used only one side of the choke and peeled the wire off until it measured around 21 mH.
Ah. My choke only measures 10mH on one side, which isn't enough. I tried wiring both sides in parallel - causing it to cancel out to 0mH, just like a common-mode choke is supposed to. I had to electrically flip one of the coils, wiring kitty-corner in series - which caused the inductance to quadruple to a whopping 40mH, which worked just fine. I used a 10K pot, not a 2.5K one, which might be important or might not.
Quote:
The plan was to start there and take more wire off until I'd find out that it didn't work at all and then start winding my own. But then it worked on the first try so I left it that way.
With an entire side of the choke unused, you've got a nice opportunity. They are magnetically coupled, so it will act as an isolation transformer. Hook one end to ground (external ground, not necessarily your own ground) and the last lead can be your 'audio out'.

Quote:
Today I got some nice high current adjustable voltage regulators in the mail (LD1084V) that I want to use for the amplifier. So, with a bit of luck, the big chaos screen will be up and running very soon.
Careful with those, low-dropout regulators are noisy and evil. It'll need to be very nicely decoupled everywhere or you'll build a 5-amp power oscillator. Annoying enough here, but quite a surprise when building audio circuits!

Last edited by Corona688; 06-17-2018 at 05:28 AM.
Thanks, from:
But (06-17-2018)

Page generated in 0.30185 seconds with 11 queries