View Single Post
Old 07-01-2010, 08:12 PM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

Default Re: Fucking education! How does it work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
I think she was arguing against requiring all kids to learn certain specific topics if they have no interest in it and/or it does not serve their interests desires otherwise.
Yeah but I still don't get why employment is the standard of what it serves a kid to learn. Kids have no idea how much shit is out there that they might wind up doing, so going by their expectations seems really limiting to me.

As for desires or interests, I think there's value in being forced to learn things you don't like or are not interested in. I would never have discovered how awesome collard pesto is if I hadn't been forced by my produce delivery to confront the heinous green. Besides, even in subjects that you already like you're going to encounter things you don't. I hated To The Lighthouse when I first had to read it in 11th grade. It took me 2 years to really get it and now it's a full-fledged part of my mental lexicon.
Thanks, from:
Adam (07-01-2010), Crumb (07-06-2010), LadyShea (07-01-2010), miscegenator (07-27-2010)

Page generated in 0.35697 seconds with 11 queries