View Single Post
Old 04-15-2011, 10:25 PM
"The idea of Salvation comes, I believe, from one whom suffering breaks apart." -Bataille

Default Re: What the fuck, Florida?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man View Post
Scott has announced that challenges to this manoeuvre will be fielded entirely at taxpayer expense.
You know, as ridiculous and, apparently, corrupt as the whole drug testing thing is in the first place, I'd rather it be done at taxpayer expense than force the people subject to it to pay for it. If the state is going to make the claim that it has a compelling interest in drug testing some class of people, then the state should foot the bill for it.
It's not just the drug tests that are going to be funded at taxpayer expense; it's legal challenges as well. I didn't vote for this shit and I have no interest in paying for legal challenges to it, especially when it's an obvious violation of the Constitution and the whole point of it is pretty clearly so the governor's wife can make shitloads of money. I mean, it's one of the most blatant conflicts of interest in the history of this state. So yeah, it's good that people won't have to pay for their drug tests out of pocket, but they also shouldn't have to pay out of their taxes for legal challenges for something that clearly doesn't stand up to constitutional scrutiny in the first place. Especially since this state has a pretty nasty budget crisis as it is. Apparently a budget crisis is the perfect time to expand the state government into completely unconstitutional bullshit.

It's also worth pointing out that David Cay Johnston article Maturin poasted elsewhere, since the poor are going to paying the largest share of the bill for this anyway. Relevant quote:
Quote:
When it comes to state and local taxes, the poor bear a heavier burden than the rich in all 50 states, Citizens for Tax Justice calculated from official data.

“All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind.” -Adam Smith

“If you took the most ardent revolutionary, vested him in absolute power, within a year he would be worse than the Tsar himself.” -Mikhail Bakunin

FG · last.fm · soundcloud

Last edited by The Man; 04-15-2011 at 10:39 PM.
Thanks, from:
Adam (04-15-2011), lisarea (04-15-2011), Naru (04-15-2011), Stephen Maturin (04-15-2011)

Page generated in 0.24887 seconds with 11 queries