View Single Post
Old 07-10-2010, 07:22 PM
Fishy mokey

Default Re: Fucking education! How does it work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Quote:
That's not really true. There are private schools of all kinds of religious denominations and philosophical leanings. It is just that there is a curriculum to follow. They can add to that.
Sorry if I misunderstood. Do the private schools follow a state mandated scope and sequence, or even specific curriculum, or do they have autonomy to teach differently than the public schools?
As far as I know they need to follow the standard curriculum but they can add specific things that they feel are important. I am not completely sure. But the state does inspect the schools and sometimes they will withhold money if they feel standards are not upheld, which happened to an Islamic school in Amsterdam recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Quote:
some kind of cool trip.
Solo circumnavigation is a bit more than a cool trip in my view. It's not like flying on a plane somewhere and staying in hotels. It's like climbing Everest, or competing in the Olympics. The skill and preparation required is staggering.

Quote:
I don't see why that should trump everything else.
Why should a state mandated curriculum trump her attaining a lofty goal that requires dedication, skill, and maturity?
It doesn't. She can do it when school is finished. The point is they insist on doing it now, so they can set a new record for youngest person to do this.
Stormlight (07-23-2010)

Page generated in 0.36447 seconds with 11 queries