Thread: Good King Trump
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2017, 05:01 PM
I read some of your foolish scree, then just skimmed the rest.

Default Re: Good King Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamilah Hauptmann View Post
I got a friend who's head of Network Security at a university, and in his estimation a private server is, his words, "infinitely worse". I don't know how much of that is hyperbole but given that he's had a fantastic record, I'm inclined to believe "is worse". I have two basic questions unanswered, and I don't care enough to dig, 1: Did Clinton have an IT team? Clearly a 60 something politician with a budget had an IT team and did not set up a server on her own, much less deal with zero day exploits and other evils. So I'm inclined to call that a virtual certainty. 2: Did the IT team have all the proper clearances? If not, why the HELL not, and if so, I'm still inclined to put weight on the opinion of my friend, even if all the hows and whys are way above my pay scale.
A reasonable amount of hyperbole and/or trust in giant corporations.

Security wise, many opsec experts use small 'private' e-mail services all the time in the form of anonymous email servers. In fact most use open source encryption and software for the specific reason they know what it's doing. You can never be sure with proprietary software, did they catch all the bugs? Did Russia, or more likely the NSA have them build a back door into everyone's account and then threaten them into silence? Ya don't know! and that's a big problem.

Which is why I put private server we know nothing about and AOL or proprietary server on the same level, we really don't know, we're just assuming everyone knows what they are doing. If her team was competent then a private server is more secure than AOL for the very reason we don't know how AOL does things.

To answer the second question, done right no one running the server should be able to read any of the emails on the server. So it just matters if they are trustable to do it right.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (03-06-2017), Crumb (03-05-2017), Kamilah Hauptmann (03-05-2017), Sock Puppet (03-05-2017), The Man (03-05-2017)

Page generated in 0.29648 seconds with 11 queries