View Single Post
Old 06-27-2014, 05:11 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

Default Re: Bend Over, Facebook is Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Facebook keeps asking if I work at all these weird places or live in cities I've never been to. Like it just asked me if I work at Google, on accounta ES. Who works at Colorado State University? It keeps asking me that one too. It makes me laugh.
Temple Grandin! She works at CSU!

Quote:
Also, Google is mad at me for not setting up a Google+...I was grandfathered in so didn't have to. They won't let me use my Google account to log in to some some third party sites though.
Yeah, I won't sign up for sites that have real name policies for no good reason like Facebook and G+ do. That's just so fundamentally shitty that: No.

Most of whatever privacy people have left is just security through obscurity. I mean, Google knows my name and where I live and all that, but I'm not going to give them explicit permission to tie that information up with my online activity. They could still do it, though, if they mined their data. But I'm not going to help them or give them the OK to make it public. Hell, most regular people could probably figure that stuff out easily enough. The only reason dataminers aren't consistently and accurately doing that sort of thing already is that it's still just a little too much work to do wholesale.

I get that most people don't care, but the fake likes are just so creepy and so obviously horrible, though, I can't even imagine anyone being OK with that.

And Google's done pretty much the same thing, I'd argue maybe even worse. Remember when they sent me a message saying you'd requested I make my RSS feed public?

I mean, I was skeptical enough that I asked you, but I still wonder if they sent requests to other people saying I'd asked people to make their stuff public. Like, making it look like I was creeping people in my contacts, trying to look at their pictures or their newsfeeds or something. I have people in my contacts I don't even know, and lots of people I'm not actually friends with.

It's insulting and horrifically creepy that Google just decided that it was OK to try to exploit perceived trust networks like that, and to attribute their grossly invasive requests to their users.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (06-27-2014), ImGod (06-27-2014), Janet (07-11-2014), LadyShea (06-28-2014), livius drusus (06-27-2014), The Man (06-28-2014)

Page generated in 0.36239 seconds with 11 queries