View Single Post
Old 01-13-2012, 04:53 PM
the internet says I'm right

Default Re: All things pink and flowery, all things blue and buildable

Well, a lot of the Lego stuff normally comes in kits, you have to either work with the parts their version of the TIE Fighter, or whatever, uses, combine multiple kits, or order other pieces separately. I don't know if they still sell the big grab-buckets, but even those has X number of piece Y and so on.

I kinda dig that the Lego people (and animals) from the 'girls' set actually look more realistic, and I wonder why they thought it was OK to change the iconic look for the 'girls' set. But, of course, I've always been bothered by the conception that all the girls must want to play "house," and only boys want to play with dinosaurs or dragons or knights or whatever.

Quote:
Kiddo wanted some kitchen stuff and dishes a few years back, and every goddamn thing in the store was pink and flowery. Not that he cares, but there is no pink decor in my house, and his room is undersea themed, and exactly what is it about a stove that suggests it needs to be pink and have flowers stuck on it? With the percentage of chefs who are male being so huge, why do manufacturers feel the need to feminize a set of dishes? I found some stainless steel play dishes and pots and pans, and a wooden kitchen, but I had to look around online and pay more because it wasn't available in the store.
This has always been kinda baffling to me, 'cause it's such a blatant mixed message. Girls are supposed to love doing kitchen stuff, and cooking is a 'girly' thing to do - unless you're getting paid to do it, then it's a "Real Men Only" profession. It's just such an obvious remnant of the "women do the housework, men have the jobs" mentality, and everyone from toy manufacturers to retail stores to most consumers just play right along, like it's the most obvious and natural thing in the world to do it that way.

I dunno, my daughter likes pink, and butterflies, and frilly dresses. She also likes poking at bugs, and killing stuff in video games. She'll come in next to me while I'm playing and yell "get 'em, get 'em, daddy!" and cheer when I kill whatever I was fighting.
Thanks, from:
Demimonde (01-13-2012), LadyShea (01-13-2012), livius drusus (01-13-2012), Pan Narrans (01-17-2012)

Page generated in 0.16517 seconds with 11 queries