Thread: Documentaries
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2010, 01:45 PM
lagomorph lover

Default Re: Documentaries

I watched My Flesh and Blood last night, and can't get it out of my head. It's a surprisingly unsentimental look at a single mom and her 13 children--11 of them were adopted, and most have some pretty significant challenges.

It is hard to watch, at times. The two younger boys are both dealing with excruciating terminal illnesses, and one also has some very severe emotional problems. I don't think I could take on all the issues that the mother, Susan Tom, has taken on, but I'm glad there are people in the world like her.

If it looks interesting to you, do yourself a favor and don't read too many reviews beforehand. I was shocked by the ending, and 12 hours later I am still reeling from it. But I'm glad I didn't know how it was going to end.

65 Red_Roses is a documentary that follows a young woman with cystic fibrosis in Vancouver named Eva, and her struggle to get a lung transplant. It also profiles two of her online friends who also have CF, and how they all emotionally support one another through the internet.

I'd followed Eva's blog off-and-on for years. Although the documentary ends on an optimistic note, it was hard to watch knowing that Eva started declining shortly after filming ended.

Her blog is here: 65_RedRoses

Last edited by One for Sorrow; 08-24-2010 at 01:50 PM. Reason: can't embed :(
Thanks, from:
Doctor X (08-26-2010), LadyShea (08-24-2010), livius drusus (08-24-2010)

Page generated in 0.13848 seconds with 12 queries