View Single Post
Old 11-18-2017, 12:33 AM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

Default Re: Vive la Resistance! aka non-Trump US politics

I'm certainly willing to wait for more evidence one way or the other.

Al Franken might have to go, but the idea that he needed to resign immediately, that very day, I don't agree with for many cases (that would vary depending on how many accusers, how much evidence, seriousness of the violations, etc.). And I'd say the same for Republicans. But absent any good exculpatory evidence (such as contradictory witnesses) coming out, I'm not sure he should be staying on til 2020, particularly since it wouldn't even likely be giving up a seat.

I will note that Franken has not admitted to the kiss nor did he concede that he was groping her in that picture. I can see why, if he thinks that's not true or that she's lying, he wouldn't want to outright deny it in the environment we have (in particular, not wanting to give ammunition to others, like Roy Moore and Trump) before having proof.

That said, I'm skeptical that such proof will be forthcoming. While he can probably stick it out if no more allegations come, particularly given that Tweeden has accepted his apology and isn't calling for him to resign, but I'm not sure he should. There are men on both sides who are wary for personal reasons of establishing such a standard, which is probably why no Senate Republicans have called for his resignation either.

What would be nice is if there were more Republican women who would be willing to hold their colleagues accountable. A bipartisan push by the women of Congress to purge the sexual harassers would be the most effective way to deal with it. Unfortunately, quite a few of the GOP women are as crazy partisan as the men and won't go after their men even if Democratic women are teaming up with them.

(And to be honest, the gender ratios in the caucuses along with the GOP majorities make it probably inevitable that such a push would damage the GOP more than the Democrats even if we assume such behavior is equally prevalent among men in both parties. There are just more GOP men than Democratic men in Congress.)
Thanks, from:
The Man (11-18-2017)

Page generated in 0.20605 seconds with 11 queries