View Single Post
Old 08-29-2006, 05:40 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

Default Re: Norton Anti-Virus and viruses?

A trojan downloader is really a category, not a specific instance. Could you find the filenames or something?

I'm not on Windows myself, but IIRC, I had my kid use Avast after Norton munged his computer up. He'd been having issues with false positives with Norton Antivirus, then it installed NIS, too, which was the last straw. It slowed his system to a crawl, it started reporting Windows private IP addresses as intrusion attempts or something, and made his whole system virtually unusable for a while. It was a while ago, and I have some of the repressed memories from it, I think, so I would probably have to get some kind of traumatic regression therapy to remember all the details, but it was bad.

Try what Chuck and TomJoe say. The only thing I really have to add is that, if you cannot get rid of Norton right away, I'd personally suggest backing up your data and doing a clean install if at all possible. Some people seem to be able to uninstall pretty easily, but if it's not working at first, it will eat your soul.

Page generated in 0.16244 seconds with 11 queries