View Single Post
Old 03-31-2015, 08:46 AM
" I am human. I conider nothing that is human as alien to me." Terence

Default Re: Going Clear, or, In Your Face, Scientology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari View Post
I haven't seen it yet but I do wonder does it go into *why* people believe?
While sure people fall for scams all the time, I've been interested in why and how people don't just fall for such recent and documented scam but declare it their religion. I also wonder if the church is gaining any new members outside of families and friends of those already caught in their trap.

At least in the case of things like the bible the detailed history of both it's ManGod and those that wrote down his story are lost to the mists of time, but in the case of Scientology there are still people alive that remember shooting the shit with their hack writer about creating a fake religion and the amount of drugs consumed while doing it.
Back when I was doing a lot of reading I happened to read this about how Scientology started...It started one night when Robert Heinlein and L Ron Hubbard were having a drink in a bar. Heinlein bet L Ron a sum of money that he couldn't start a religion. Hubbard accepted the bet and the next day Scientology came into existence,

I don't remember where or when this was supposed to have happened, I also don't remember how much money was bet.

Page generated in 0.14908 seconds with 11 queries