Thread: Cycling
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2007, 11:20 PM
Babby Police

Default Re: Cycling

Toe clips are essential, not too tight, not too loose. I always wanted a pair of actual cycling shoes, but never got around to getting any (they're expensive). Anything with a good firm sole works. Most sneakers don't. I had a couple of pairs of ... not exactly dress shoes, but very simple, flat shoes with plastic soles. They were lime green with translucent soles, and awesome. I miss them. Also you need a nice, compact backpack, nylon, very light. For carrying your wallet and your smokes.

I admit to one spectacular header into a parked car. Also, I've had a few close calls. Watch out when it starts to rain. Drivers turn into instant morons. I was flying down King St. in Hamilton one time, and a guy opened his driver's side door right in front of me. I swerved to the left instinctively and just about went under the wheels of a bus.

Speaking of buses this one time I had just bought a brand new pump. Again, I was flying down King St., and a heard *clink* *clink* ... my new pump had fallen off the frame of my bike. I looked behind me to see a city bus flattening it.

One thing about riding in the city. Jocelyn Lovell was an Olympic cyclist from Canada, and he was killed riding in Toronto. So if an Olympic cyclist can get killed in the city, so can you. Never trust drivers. They are mostly assholes, they are not paying attention to you, and they do not share your concerns.

Page generated in 0.13446 seconds with 11 queries