View Single Post
Old 08-13-2004, 04:50 PM
Babby Police

Default Re: One of those 'Wat'cha Listenin' To?' threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunachick
The Magdalene Laundries ... Just heard it for the first time.
Joni Mitchell ... is a genius.

I just came across something I'd forgotten I had, the complete version of The Guess Who's 1972 album Live At The Paramount, which contains a half a dozen more songs than the original release. I scored the mp3s a few years ago off Napster. There is a pretty funny review of Live At The Paramount in Psychotic Reactions and Carburetor Dung, a brilliant and hilarious collection of Lester Bangs' articles from old Creem magazines and elsewhere. Bangs gave the live album full marks, and may have been the only rock critic to refer to Burton Cummings as a "punk," on the strength of the 17-minute version of American Woman, which features Cummings' extemporaneous musings: "American bitch, American lesbian, American slut, American nurse."

I don't know what the hell ever happened to Burton Cummings, apparently he became a Vancouver real estate mogul or something, but in his day he was one of the best singers to come out of Winnipeg, or anywhere else for that matter. The line-up on Live At The Paramount (and several other albums) also featured probably one of the most underrated guitarists ever, the late Kurt Winter, who also wrote or co-wrote a load of the GW's biggest hits.

Live At The Paramount is the band at its best, from their heaviest to the gorgeous Cummings ballad Sour Suite. That was one hell of a versatile band.

Page generated in 0.06737 seconds with 11 queries