View Single Post
Old 04-27-2012, 02:58 AM

Default Re: Homosexuality in the Bible . . . and You!

[quote=davidm;1052873]
Quote:
Originally Posted by australian View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by australian View Post

Could you please quote these passages, along with the relevant context?
In answer to your request that I quote the passages, im going to decline, sorry. You are able to look up these passages by visiting BibleGateway.com: A searchable online Bible in over 100 versions and 50 languages. for example, and entering the references I gave you into the search box in the top left of the screen.
I'm really not interested in prowling through your silly blog for these answers. Either put up or shut up.
davidm, I believe you underestimate the difficulty of providing context to a quote from the Bible. No matter how hard I try to include context, I still cant cover it all. You have the culture of the time the given passage was written, the context of any immediate narrative from which the passage is taken, and the wider context of the Bible. One person might quote a passage and give you their honest assessment of its context, and someone else can easily come along and point out an element that they believe is contextually relevant, but which the person doing the quoting simply hadnt thought of. That being the case, and the fact that Ive referred you to a website where you can have a go at looking up context yourself, Im not going to try to provide it, Im sorry.
However, I can imagine that you might believe the accusation that the Bible does not rule out homosexual sex for Christians, and that such a policy is simply an expression of prejudiced religious people who read into the Bible whatever they want. To try to show that such an accusation is false, I will list some passages that indicate that homosexual sex and more broadly, homosexual relationships, are not sanctioned in the Bible for Christians. Unfortunately for those who are sensitive to the issue, I should warn that some of the following passages are sharply worded, as they were written to a Judeo-Christian audience who were being admonished for misbehaving. These are from a recent NIV translation:

*Leviticus 18:22 "Do not have sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman; that is detestable."
*Leviticus 20:13 "If a man has sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They are to be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads."
*Matthew 19:4 " “Haven’t you read,” [Jesus] replied, “that at the beginning the Creator ‘made them male and female,’ and said, ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh’? "
*Matthew 19:10-11 "The disciples said to him, “If this is the situation between a husband and wife, it is better not to marry.” Jesus replied, “Not everyone can accept this word, but only those to whom it has been given. For there are eunuchs who were born that way, and there are eunuchs who have been made eunuchs by others—and there are those who choose to live like eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. The one who can accept this should accept it.” "
*Romans 1:26,27 "Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones. In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed shameful acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error."
*1 Corinthians 6:9-11 "do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And that is what some of you were."
*1 Timothy 1:9-10 "We also know that the law is made not for the righteous but for lawbreakers and rebels, the ungodly and sinful, the unholy and irreligious, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers, for the sexually immoral, for those practicing homosexuality, for slave traders and liars and perjurers—and for whatever else is contrary to the sound doctrine"

As indicated in the video at the start of this thread, some argue that the above English is not a good translation from the original languages, and there are also arguments that the passages do not mean what they appear to state. But in any case, most Bibles in English translate most of the above verses in fairly similar ways.

Last edited by australian; 04-27-2012 at 03:43 AM. Reason: Accidentally posted before completing the post

Page generated in 0.41699 seconds with 11 queries