View Single Post
Old 08-01-2014, 01:54 PM
Phallic Philanthropist

Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis
So technically yes, when we look at the stars, either with naked eyes or with telescopes, we are seeing light that was emitted in the distance past in real time (the instant the light hits our eyes
Yes, in our real time...but Lessans used an example indicating he thought time was not relative to the observer. He stated that an observer on Rigel looking through a powerful telescope "at that moment" would see Lessans sitting at his desk writing that sentence. Basically he stated that time on Rigel and time on Earth were the same when it came to vision.

PG also has stated that time is made up and that the past doesn't exist. So how can light from the distant past exist in the present "real time" in her worldview?
You're right I should have clarified that relativistic aspect of "real time." It only seems instant to us. If we had no knowledge of how light travels or how eyes work we would think that we saw in "real time" the way PG and Lessans propose.
It's funny that in the start of his book Lessans talks a lot about trying to explain spherical-earth to people who believe in flat-earth. But his theory on sight is more akin to someone proposing to modern man that the earth isn't really round like we have solidly proven and even verified from space, but is actually flat because that's how it appears to someone stuck on the ground.
Angakuk (08-03-2014), The Lone Ranger (08-01-2014)

Page generated in 0.28698 seconds with 11 queries