View Single Post
Old 11-08-2018, 02:41 AM
rude, crude, lewd, and unsophisticated

Default Re: In Which We Brag About Our Petty Accomplishments

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea View Post
Thank you, Gizmoduck, for resurrecting the thread. That's really cool!

Plus, I have an accomplishment too!

Yesterday, I finished dealing with all the apples we had. For background, our neighborhood had (HAS) a massive apple explosion this year, and I made it my mission to save and use as many as I could. I am guessing we got 5-7 full bushels, mostly from these one neighbors' trees, and I went through all of them, peeled, cored, and cut out the damaged parts, made a billion apple cobblers, gave away a bunch of those, froze a bunch of bags of slices for later use, and then, night before last, made a batch of apple butter with the last of them.

I don't think I've ever made apple butter before. It came out too sweet for me, but now I know, and Matlock doesn't mind things that are too sweet for me, so I figure he'll eat it, and next time, I'll use less sugar.

There are rotten apples everywhere around here still, but I've already done what I can so it's not my problem anymore.
I'm impressed. I've been doing 'taste testing' with apple pies using variant pie apples. Year two and I've added a list of about six varieties. But then, what you may have may be any number of varieties, given that they are 'neighborhood trees'. I'm under the impression that certain apples are better for certain uses...and I know it to be true because Gravensteins are absolutely best for pies...so there are pie apples, hand apples, baking apples, drying apples, cider apples....etc., etc., etc. 'Neighborhood trees' just screams for 'Damifino Wukine' apples.

Most excellent...not petty at all.

More pommy, actually.

Next time....cider!
lisarea (11-08-2018)

Page generated in 0.35701 seconds with 11 queries