Thread: Good King Trump
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2018, 10:21 PM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

Default Re: Good King Trump

Unless you want to hang your whole argument on "dove" and "non-interventionist"/"isolationist" being totally distinct terms, this isn't really that hard to find examples of.

But sure, I'll concede that "dove" is not totally synonymous. I was going for something punchier than "non-interventionist".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by erimir View Post
I was assured by many on the left that Trump was a dove
Who
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
Moreover, with respect to Clinton and Trump, it’s not even clear, in certain key respects, that Clinton is the lesser of two evils [...]
Trump says he will be “neutral” in the Israeli-Palestine conflict. [...] Lesser of two evils: Trump.
[...]
Trump (rather courageously) went down south and told the Republican base that the Iraq War was a bad deal [...]
Trump, by contrast, has indicated that he’s not so interested in gallivanting abroad to find dragons to slay.
Lesser of two evils: Trump.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
certain core principles [Trump] expressed were sound, foremost among them: do not go abroad in search of dragons to slay.
Glenn Greenwald, in Slate:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Greenwald
So even though [Trump] is a clown and an idiot and mentally unstable, there is this coherent philosophy that is noninterventionist, isolationist, and uber-nationalistic.
Donald Trump Could Be the Military-Industrial Complex’s Worst Nightmare | The Nation
Quote from above: "The Donald, usually bellicose in style and substance, is singing, “Give peace a chance.”"

Young Turks (ostensibly left-wing outlet) "reporter":

Of course, people ostensibly on the left weren't the only ones arguing this:

MoDo imagines herself to be center-left, but I am fine with saying she's wrong about that.

Less clear where some others stand (I don't know Jenkins):

Hell, as recently as less than two months ago, Watser was (presumably approvingly) citing articles that assume the existence of Trump's anti-war or non-interventionist "instincts".
Quote:
Quote:
and Trump's election was a rejection of neoconservatism
Who
Seems a fair implication of the constant discussion of how Hillary was the candidate of the neocons and was a neocon and the neocons were opposing Trump and all that. Which I heard plenty of from people on the left.

And the fact that neoconservatism is interventionist, and so saying that Trump had a non-interventionist ideology kinda implies that he's not a neocon.
Quote:
Quote:
Some of them even prefer Trump for foreign policy reasons!
:yarly:
This is specifically what I was referring to this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watser? View Post
Exactly why I prefer Trump...
and this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watser? View Post
Quote:
the GOP is a threat to the world
Sorry dudes, but I am still trying to juggle my relief that Clinton is not going to start WW3 over a no-fly zone in Syria with my sadness about what happens inside the US. But as for 'the world', I am still not sure we are off worse with Trump.
But "preferring" Trump because of "Killary's warmongering" is much easier to find than people calling him a dove, actually.

Last edited by erimir; 03-25-2018 at 10:47 PM. Reason: adding attribution to quote tags
Thanks, from:
The Man (03-25-2018)

Page generated in 0.14094 seconds with 11 queries