View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013, 02:19 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

Default Re: Springtime for Geek Girls?

A couple of things I pulled off my feed today.

First up, Red Sonja is coming back! And this time Gail Simone is writing it! And also, the best reason for putting it here:

Quote:
Last month Dynamite Entertainment announced a relaunch of Red Sonja, with the new monthly series to be written by Gail Simone. The publisher also revealed plans to have the series' covers be created by a rotating cast of women artists. Today, Dynamite released all six covers for Red Sonja #1, including work from Fiona Staples, Amanda Conner, Colleen Doran, Nicola Scott, Stephanie Buscema, and Jenny Frison[.]
There are variant covers for #1 at the link.

And secondly, I forget where or how I was first found out Rock Paper Shotgun was a thing. I'd check it every once in a while but I felt like I had enough nerdosphere/comic/games news places. It wasn't until recently that RPS was thrust back into my bortosphere over the whole lady geek issues that really rustles jimmies. I've put RPS back into my loop because, as it turns out, they are p awesome.

Quote:
Many women are mistreated and misrepresented within the games industry. It’s not a matter of opinion, a political position, or claim made to reinforce previous bias. It’s the demonstrable, sad truth. Ask women in the games industry – find out. That you may not perceive it does not mean it doesn’t exist. That you may not perpetuate it doesn’t mean it isn’t relevant to you. Whether you are male or female or identify anywhere between does not exclude you nor repudiate you from the matter. The amount to which you think it doesn’t exist is directly proportional to the amount to which you do not care that it exists. If you don’t care that it exists, I hope you are willing to be open-minded enough to try to empathise with others that do – at least give that a go. And if you care passionately about it, and feel offended by the tone of this piece as if it doesn’t acknowledge you, then I apologise, and hope you understand why.

I want to try to break down why people object to the discussion, why there is a concerted effort to deny the need for the discussion, and to explain how my own tangential role in it all has affected me. I want to do this because I want to dispel myths, raise awareness, and encourage others to speak out. For those who think such articles are “preaching to the choir”, were that true, I certainly want that choir to be bolstered, encouraged to sing louder and truer. Sadly it’s not entirely true, as is evidenced by the responses any such article receives on RPS. I want to speak to those people too.
Thanks, from:
Adam (04-09-2013), Janet (04-16-2013), Pan Narrans (04-09-2013)

Page generated in 0.17818 seconds with 11 queries