View Single Post
Old 03-21-2012, 06:51 PM
God Made Me A Skeptic

Default Re: This explain everything

Life should be fair because the net total wealth of fair societies is quite a lot higher, because more people are stakeholders with a genuine chance for some form of success.

People who can't own property have very little reason to work. People are not all that dumb; if the "chance" to own property isn't real, they aren't gonna be fooled. But if you run a fair system, where people have real rights and a certain amount of basic cooperation is enforced, you suddenly have a lot more people working harder -- and not just working harder, but thinking harder. And that's where you get innovation, which is where the vast majority of the wealth comes from.

So in short, since I want to be wealthy, the best strategy for me to pursue is a strategy which maximizes the number of reasonably wealthy people.

Note that I can do all of this without any appeal to morality or ethics. I can also do it purely by appeals to those, but since people disagree about moral and ethical rules, I prefer to use the purely pragmatic argument.

(Thus my essay on how to become richer than you've ever been.)

EDIT: And yes, I find it hilarious that someone lazy and incompetent is promoting lolbertarianism. A person who's got nothing to contribute probably shouldn't be advocating a system under which his best chance of survival would be someone stronger deciding that he's got a pretty mouth.
Save me / and when you see me strut / remind me of what left this outlaw torn
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (03-22-2012), Joshua Adams (03-22-2012), Kael (03-21-2012), LadyShea (03-21-2012), Sauron (03-21-2012), Stephen Maturin (03-21-2012), Stormlight (03-22-2012), The Man (03-21-2012), Vivisectus (03-21-2012)

Page generated in 0.14175 seconds with 11 queries