View Single Post
Old 11-28-2014, 04:16 AM
Not drowning. Waving.

Default Re: Charitable Giving

Has anyone mentioned the Wikipedia yet? It's annual begging campaign should start any day now. I think it is a worthy recipient. Although it has no charitable status in Australia, and thus donations are not tax deductible here. The situation might be different in other countries. What I like most about it is that the Wikipedia provides the same valuable resources as the Encyclopedia Britannica, but unlike the latter, does it for free. The EB used to pretty monopolistic and rapacious pricing and its sales staff were always quick to engage in emotional blackmail (You'll disadvantage your children if you don't buy our stuff). When its first electronic publication of its flagship product was release, on all of three CDs, it had an even higher price tag than its 27 volume hardcover equivalent. At that point I began to positively hate the outfit. Sorry. Getting a bit carried away now, so...

Another one Community Aid Abroad / Oxfam. This organisation focuses on improving the infrastructure in poor regions like digging wells and building medical facilities rather than short term assistance. It also runs on reasonably small overheads, at least when I started donating to it maybe 20 or so years ago. Hopefully that is still the case.
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (11-28-2014)

Page generated in 0.29777 seconds with 11 queries