View Single Post
Old 10-19-2011, 07:21 AM

Default Re: Privacy, Anonymity, and Compartmentalization

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea View Post
He says some weird things about the history of the "web," but that's because he's like twelve. Plus the thing where he says it's somehow OK that he's requiring Facebook accounts for his new service.
That part was strange. He just spent the better part of his talk putting down Facebook for their policies, and then goes on to say that Facebook accounts are required for registration on his website.

I like his ideas in theory--in abstraction. I'm not as sure how they would work in practice. I can see the upside, if people are honest about it.

I was watching a LinkedIn webinar about how to use LinkedIn for different things, including how to get a job. One of the questions was, what do you do when you have vastly different jobs you're seeking. She gave the example of a lawyer and a yoga teacher. People want to be open to as many possibilities as possible. The person leading the webinar gave the advice that you have to pick one. It's possible to have two vastly different careers on a profile, but the possibility (in her opinion) of getting job leads in either area is reduced by putting both of them on the same profile. Of course, it would be different if you're already doing one or the other.

I was thinking about how, with more work being done over the internet, that it may be possible to have different profiles with different handles (nicknames) to have both those careers, as long as one or the other were possible over the internet. I was just at a website that taught meditation strictly over the internet, for instance. In the example at the LinkedIn webinar, that person might seek a job as a lawyer with a LinkedIn profile with their real name and then create a handle to also have a job as a yoga instructor over the internet, or even IRL.

But there's lots of downside with anonymity too.
Thanks, from:
SR71 (02-10-2012), The Man (03-27-2015)

Page generated in 0.26676 seconds with 11 queries