View Single Post
Old 08-15-2004, 02:49 AM

Default Re: One of those 'Wat'cha Listenin' To?' threads.

Right now, I have Frank Zappa's Make a Jazz Noise Here playing. It's from his last tour, circa 1988. While many of the tracks are pieced together from various performances, there are NO overdubs anywhere on the CD. So what you hear is ALL live music, as it was performed on stage. And it just points up how incredibly tight this band was. There are several CD's out consisting of material from the same tour, my other favorite example being The Best Band you Never Heard In Your Life. All of them are overdub free. One thing that I find amusing about Make a jazz Noise Here is the intro. Zappa is addressing the audience, and says:

Quote:
Did everyone hear the great news today? Jimmy Swaggart under investigation! Maybe one day all of those cocksuckers will get caught!
He then goes on to quote Cal Thomas about how there were not multiple prostitutes involved.

Next up will be anther Zappa CD, You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore, Vol. II. Most of that series is compiled live stuff from all over the map. On most of the CD's, you'll find stuff from the early mothers right next to stuff from his solo career. All of it is sans overdubs as well. Vol II, however, is the complete Helsinki show from 1974.

If you can't tell, I'm a huge Zappa fan. I especially enjoy his live albums. They combine the passion and electricity of a live performance with a precision that many bands couldn't achieve with months in a studio. They're an amazing demonstration of musicianship.

Page generated in 0.11929 seconds with 11 queries