View Single Post
Old 06-07-2018, 07:29 PM
33% satisfaction guaranteed!

Default Re: Big company takeovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688 View Post
The fact is people hate version control, and github has made it easy to not bother.
Apologies. I don't follow. Can you expand a bit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688 View Post
What shocks me is that github was an entity which could be bought at all. Step one for "don't be evil" seems to be "don't be a publicly traded corporation".
That didn't shock me much. I thought the modern SV MO was to pretend to be the hip independent thing, hoover up enough users, and then get acquired because you're not actually turning much profit by simply being hip.

As I say, I'm still holding out hope that a decentralised method of distributing internet resources can actually work at some point. There was apparently a cute idea from a few years ago called GitTorrent, but the developer is asking interested folk to look instead to stuff like IPFS.

My current doubts about IPFS are solely due to this issue. I went looking for that when I found that running the IPFS daemon on my VPS was consuming several gig a day in bandwidth when I wasn't serving any data. Tracing the comments on that issue, there is possibly a fundamental scaling problem with distributed hash tables. If so, :(

Page generated in 0.36001 seconds with 11 queries