Thread: Rehab question
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2017, 12:08 AM
Safety glasses off, motherfuckers

Default Re: Rehab question

I know almost nothing about the process of recovery firsthand (unless caffeine counts, my use of recreational substances has been limited entirely to marijuana, and while I enjoyed it, the number of times I have used it can be counted on one hand), but I have heard it suggested that a change of surroundings makes it more likely to stick. I suspect this is because a move cuts an addict off from the people associated with their drug abuse, and also forces them into new routines that may be more successful at supplanting the cycle of abuse. Of course, moving is obviously not an option for everyone, and I suspect people with opiate addictions are less likely than the average populace to have the resources for a move.

It also seems that hypnosis can be extremely successful for some people, but that varies widely from person to person. I’m not entirely convinced I’m even actually capable of being hypnotised; apparently some people aren’t. I’ve tried hypnosis for things unrelated to substance addiction, and it didn’t really stick. That said, some people have reported that hypnosis enabled them to stop smoking when nothing else worked, and I believe tobacco is often considered more addictive than opiates, so hypnosis may be an additional avenue worth pursuing in addition to rehab. (Note that it often requires a few follow-up visits after the initial hypnosis to be fully successful.)

“All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind.” -Adam Smith

last.fm · my music · Marathon Expanded Universe
Thanks, from:
Ari (02-11-2017), davidm (02-12-2017)

Page generated in 0.11491 seconds with 11 queries