View Single Post
Old 02-27-2010, 11:13 PM
Done

Default Re: Can I trust the Arbor Day Foundation?

If you are wanting native trees I would check with local sources. If you just want some great trees, I would research out the vast array of fantastic trees. Since you are planting for the long term, I would seriously look into great choices for your region.

Things I look for in trees: Must look good for at least 3 seasons. If it has 4 season interest (such as fantastic bark) that's even better. Other pluses are, great fall color or beautiful evergreen leaves, and flowers.

Michael Dirr (prof of horticulture at U of Georgia) has a few great books on trees. I have his big encyclopedia Manual Wood Landscape Plants that you could check out at a library. But his book, Dirr's Trees and Shrubs for Warm Climates, has a fantastic assortment of trees with good pics to help you see what they look like.

Stewartia pseudocamillia! Got's to get one of those. Ok you don't have to, but oh my god, the flowers are teh awesome!

Calycanthus 'Harledege Wine'

Magnolia sieboldii

Just a few that I would look at. Since this is a very long term investment I would highly recommend you buy good trees suitable for your area. Stay away from the box stores for these guys as they don't always carry plant material suitable for your area. You might check with local plant sales from MG groups or horticulture society groups. You can sometimes get fantastic plants at good prices.

Go to reputable nurseries though for your trees and make good investment in trees that do become your legacy long after you have moved away.

If you have room, you might consider more native trees to your region, helps the wildlife immensely and your region if I remember correctly has some awesome trees.

Page generated in 0.54985 seconds with 11 queries