View Single Post
Old 06-04-2018, 07:14 PM
here to bore you with pictures

Default Re: Big company takeovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceptimus View Post
So Microsoft just bought GitHub for $7.5 billion. They say they won't change anything, but I'm suspicious that they'll want to somehow make a return on their $7.5 billion investment.

I suspect lots of independent developers will now be looking for a GitHub alternative even if Microsoft keep their word - lots of people distrust Microsoft - and for good reason.
So, I'm working for MS - something I couldn't have even imagined 5-10 years ago.

I'm torn as to whether or not this is a good idea, for exactly the reasons you state. In the cloud space (Azure), Microsoft is very much into openness and honesty. You really can't run a cloud based service if people are distrustful of you. However, it's not like people distrust MS for mistakes long past, and I'd image that there will be some fallout from this.

Microsoft is big into GitHub. A lot of Azure services are open-source, and the employees are working on both MS products on GitHub as well as contributing to other open source projects. I also think it spends a lot of money on GitHub already (Azure alone has over 2200 public repositories), so buying it probably makes some sense.
Thanks, from:
ceptimus (06-04-2018), lisarea (06-04-2018), Stormlight (06-06-2018), The Man (06-05-2018)

Page generated in 0.17590 seconds with 11 queries