View Single Post
Old 12-09-2011, 09:19 PM
God Made Me A Skeptic

Default Re: no surprise here

I would argue that any law which is not specifically productive and useful is harmful, because it imposes significant social costs. Basically, I think laws need justifications. A law mandating the provision of some sort of green space? Justifiable. Laws outlining the allowable heights and locations of colored regions on the walls of buildings (say, the local Target has a red band around it for branding)? Ridiculous. Stick to health and safety, plx.

The difference between my views on a lot of these issues and those of many "libertarians" is that I think the "unhide hidden costs" part of the government's role should be taken seriously and extend to things like the long-term social harms done by destructive or short-sighted actions. I don't think it's sufficient to say that people selling poisonous stuff as medicine will eventually run out of customers; customers cannot, in general, be qualified to make reasonably informed decisions.
Save me / and when you see me strut / remind me of what left this outlaw torn
Thanks, from:
Corona688 (12-09-2011), SR71 (12-09-2011), Stormlight (12-10-2011), The Man (12-09-2011), Vivisectus (12-09-2011), Watser? (12-09-2011)

Page generated in 0.37304 seconds with 11 queries