View Single Post
Old 07-11-2010, 05:02 AM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Default Re: Fucking education! How does it work?

Quote:
If it's truly that difficult
It requires mastery of a number of skills, and knowledge of factors like wind and water and navigation...it's not like a car where you can operate it without ever seeing the engine.

Quote:
Why would circumnavigating the globe solo be so much less impressive
Depends on who is or isn't impressed I guess. The youngest, first, best, fastest, least likely due to obstacles, or oldest to succeed at any kind of difficult undertaking do seem to impress, motivate, or otherwise move people, and therefore get the most notice so as to be inspiring to more people.

How many people were impressed at the 94 year old lady who finally got her degree (then died a week later)? Did that maybe inspire some adults to go to college rather than think themselves too old? How many kids maybe took up competitive swimming after watching Micheal Phelps beat the record? How many women were inspired to greater dreams by Amelia Earhart? What about the youngest person to reach some academic feat, like I dunno graduate MIT or something? Is that more or less impressive than the other MIT grads, or neither? Youngest chess champion? Youngest gold medalist? Youngest Heisman Trophy winner (Tim Tebow, Homeschooled. Anti-choice shithead but still a good player)?

What impresses or inspires you?

Watser thinks these kids are a freakshow, but I am comparing them to the masses of useless little shits who are going for the world texting record and can't be bothered to get a summer job, or the bullies who have no goals or dreams let alone any dedication to mastering something as difficult as sailing, or the disaffected kids who can't seem to find anything to aspire to or hope for.

Quote:
less important to her growth and development if she did it after school?
Importance to growth is a very subjective thing. I can't measure it because it's not my growth.

Last edited by LadyShea; 07-11-2010 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Corrected attribution
Thanks, from:
miscegenator (07-27-2010)

Page generated in 0.23743 seconds with 11 queries