View Single Post
Old 07-02-2011, 02:38 AM
Elephant Talk

Default Re: Privacy, Anonymity, and Compartmentalization

I keep my professional persona completely separate from everything else. But everything else has become less and less compartmentalized over time. When my older son became a professional musician, I had to make a decision about whether to continue to scrupulously compartmentalize my online and real-life personas. I chose to stop compartmentalizing.

And facebook has pretty much obliterated any barriers I used to maintain among my online and real-life non-professional friends. Now all the band geeks and Latin club nerds I went to high school with interact with all the assholes I know online. Add in the punk rockers who friend me because of my son's band, and the result is Mormon elders, pagan high priestesses, folks with enough metallic body modifications to give the airport security hardware nervous breakdowns, fundie atheists, and assorted teabaggers (who used to be cool, I tells ya!) rub elbows on my facebook wall regularly.

And hijinks ensue.
Thanks, from:
Doctor X (07-03-2011), Gonzo (07-02-2011), LadyShea (07-04-2011), lisarea (07-02-2011), The Man (03-27-2015)

Page generated in 0.56288 seconds with 11 queries