View Single Post
Old 07-02-2010, 09:37 PM
rude, crude, lewd, and unsophisticated

Default Re: Attention Cascadia folks: Hillsboro, OR

No...Live in Hillsboro and work in Hillsboro. Then visit Portland as though it were some kind of freak show.

Hillsboro is a perfectly acceptable Portland suburb. It used to have a respectably sized Hispanic community, when it was more rural. It is the county seat of Washington County and thus the site of the county fair, so it still has some of its agricultural base in place, but they just went through a process of 'allowing backyard chickens', so I view it as a suburb in the process of getting over itself.

There is a good sized small craft airport which serves as the site of the annual air show...don't buy a house anywhere near the flight path.

It is the west end of the line for the metropolitan mass transit system's MAX light rail line....a dubious honor. It is a major site for the location of silicon wafer fabrication plants (INTEL), which has brought an influx of outsiders to Oregon...including a south Asian population which has encouraged the spread of Indian food buffets.

If I were you, I wouldn't think about living in Portland, which is a wildly perverted real estate market thanks to way too much dabbling in 'urban renewal', complete with profligate subsidization of developer loans underwritten by municipal bonds. If you buy real estate, buy yourself a nice unit in Aloha, Hillsboro, or, my recommendation, Forest Grove, the town to the west. You'll be closer to the beach, then....if that matters. My recommendation...look at the property tax burden and what the revenues are being expended upon.

I'll go over an poke Kevlar in the ribs and get him to come back here and give you his take on it...He moved here from North Carolina a couple of years back and he decided to live in Tigard (a suburb to the south of Beaverton). He might have something cogent to offer up, having recently ingrated.
Caligulette (07-02-2010), Sauron (07-03-2010)

Page generated in 0.45128 seconds with 11 queries