Thread: Documentaries
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2013, 03:22 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Default Re: Documentaries

X-posting with Amazon Prime thrad

Creating Freedom: The Lottery of Birth (2013) - IMDb
Quote:
THE LOTTERY OF BIRTH is the first in a three-part documentary series entitled 'Creating Freedom' exploring the relationship between freedom, power and control in Western democracies. The series draws together interviews with some of the world's leading intellectuals, journalists and activists to offer an alternative perspective on today's society and the future we're creating. We do not choose to exist, or the environment we grow up in. Our starting point in life is one of passive reliance on forces over which we have no control. THE LOTTERY OF BIRTH shows that from birth onwards our minds are a battleground of competing forces: familial, educational, cultural, and professional. The outcome of this battle not only determines who we become, but the society that we create.
If you haven't seen this documentary you should. We have discussed many, if not most, of the points raised, but I found it very impactful having it all in one place. It's also very well done from a filmmaking perspective, IMO

From a reviewer
Quote:
No art is politically neutral (a point the film itself makes repeatedly) and The Lottery of Birth is unquestionably a left-leaning political work, a point reinforced by the choice of speakers such as Tony Benn and George Monbiot and powerful quotes from the likes of George Orwell. The film challenges the viewer with the perception that much of the identity-forming process in modern western democracy is informed by the desire of government and business to keep people ill-informed and easily controlled and many persuasive historical and modern examples are given. http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2013/0...irth-2013.html
Thanks, from:
Janet (09-19-2013), lisarea (09-19-2013), livius drusus (09-19-2013), Nullifidian (09-19-2013)

Page generated in 0.30163 seconds with 11 queries